Instagram

Saturday 9 March 2019

Recipe | Vegan Granola























Up until now I had always shop bought granola, simply because I hadn't realised just how quick and easy (not to mention cheap) it is to make at home!
After watching a couple of youtube videos and reading countless recipes I thought I'd amend them to make the perfect granola for me! 

Once I had looked at a huge number of combinations within loads of different recipes, I finally cracked exactly what I want in mine, and now I want to share it with you!
























Now there were a few things I learned that I wanted from my granola before attempting the final mixture:

1. Not to add too many nuts, as well as being picky with the nuts I choose. A lot of recipes called for a huge amount of different nuts but I've never been the biggest fan of a strong nut flavour (don't judge me but I can't even handle peanut butter!) so I stuck with a lower proportion of nuts and only chose those with a subtle taste - obviously this can be mixed up to your own personal taste!

2. I need more liquid than other recipes suggested. As important as the proportions of flavours is, it turns out that the texture was equally as tough to get perfect and I like granola that's a tad chewy as well as crunchy.

3. It takes a surprising amount of time to get to the right level of crispiness when cooking. Oh, also raisins don't take as long to cook as the rest of the mix, so I add them in halfway through baking.



So without further ado here's what ya need:

Ingredients:

- 1.5 cups of nuts (I used walnuts, pecans and cashews)
- 2.5 cups oats (the bigger the flakes the better)
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 0.5 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 0.5 cups raisins (or other dried fruit)

Recipe:

1. Preheat oven to 170 oC
2. Mix all ingredients in a bowl except for the raisins. You will need to melt the coconut oil in the microwave first.
2. Cover tray with baking paper or a silicon mat and lay mixture out in a thin layer.
3. Bake in the oven for 20 mins
4. Remove from oven and turn over to ensure even baking. Also, add the raisins at this point.
5. Return to oven and bake for 10 more minutes or until all the mixture looks golden brown.
6. Allow to cool and enjoy!

This granola can be kept for at least a week in an airtight container. Let me know what you like to put in your granola or if you give this one a try!
x

No comments:

Post a Comment