Instagram

Friday 29 March 2019

Recipe | Costa Rican Rice

 Back last summer I was lucky enough to take a trip to Costa Rica and it quickly became one of my favourite places in the whole world.


Not only is it beautiful but it has a strong focus on renewable energy and protecting the local environment which is a bit of a passion of mine, so naturally I fell utterly in love!

Being a vegan and not speaking the language created a slight barrier when it came to eating, which was a shame as Costa Rica has some glorious offerings!
I ended up eating the very traditional dish of rice and beans every day... and no that is not an exaggeration. When staying in a lodge on an island I ended up having it for breakfast, lunch and dinner for two days as there were no other options to choose!
And although the rice was always flavoursome and filling I'm sure you can imagine why I didn't feel the need to eat it again once back in the UK.

However 8 months later I began to crave it and so tried my hand at re-creating what I'd eaten on my trip, in my own kitchen. It ended up going fairly well considering I threw random food together hoping to get a similar flavour. I wanted to share in case anyone else has experienced this joy and wants to relive it or if you just want to give it a go!

I recommend using leftover rice or microwave pouches to make it a super quick recipe! You could even play around with your own ideas, maybe add some extra veg like peppers or peas!

Ingredients:

2 tsps garlic
3/4 cup of onion chopped
1 tin black beans
1 veggie stock cube
1-2 tsp Worcestershire sauce (can get vegan options from thevegankind.com)
1.5-2 cups rice (pre-cooked or microwave)
0.5 cups boiling water
Salt and pepper to taste

Recipe:

1. Fry garlic and onions with a small amount of oil in a saucepan
2. Pour in black beans including water from the can, simmer for 5 mins
3. Break up and sprinkle stock cube into mixture and Worcestershire sauce then stir until the cube is dissolved
4. Add rice to the pan with extra water and simmer for 10 mins or until most of the water has evaporated/been absorbed.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve!

Yes, it's that simple - easy and delicious!

x

No comments:

Post a Comment