Instagram

Monday 22 January 2018

What I Eat in a Day | Vegan.

Not sure what to eat as a vegan or curious about whether we eat just salad? Follow me for the day as we journey through my food story!!

Breakfast - Fruity Porridge:
Currently I am utterly and completely obsessed with porridge.
I make mine with water and then just a splash of soy milk at the end but you can use soy milk instead of water if you prefer! I have seen many wonderful and adventurous toppings for this breakfast but I tend to keep it simple with just a handful of frozen fruit (I often take it to work so this is nice and easy to transport!)

I put the fruit in before I microwave it because I'm not yet prepared to eat solid frozen fruit... it just doesn't appeal. Also if you cook it for long enough the berries burst and so the sweet fruity flavour mixes in with the whole bowl!


 
Lunch - Vegetable Pitta and Hummus:
This is such a simple, yet delicious, fresh and healthy (yay!) lunch option - it's easy to take with you as a packed lunch too, you just need to pre-prep if you want the veggies cooked!
All you need is your choice of Mediterranean veg, cook it slowly in a pan I add a bit of Worcestershire sauce and black pepper for added flavour.
Once it's all softened, leave to cool (or eat warm if you fancy it!), spread some hummus on your whole-wheat pitta, add the vegetables and enjoy.



Dinner - Roast Dinner!
I know it's hard to believe but it is in fact possible to have an amazing roast dinner without any animal products at all!
To start obviously all the vegetables you'd normally have as sides are fine for vegans.... just make sure the roast potatoes are cooked in vegetable oil and not animal fat.
Most herb stuffing packets are completely vegan so eat until your hearts content just add water as instructed by the packet.
You don't even have to miss out on bread sauce, just check on the ingredients that there is no milk powder in the mix and make it up with a dairy free milk... voila!
Continuing along the thoughts of sauces, most tomato ketchup and bbq sauces are vegan and double check but I have found nearly every vegetable gravy (granules) to be vegan too!

Now for the main substitution ..... the meat. There are literally hundreds of meat alternatives out there, chicken, turkey, sausages even beef wellington so just take your pick. If you want to avoid the highly processed products then nut roasts are a really great option and they taste much nicer than you might imagine and that's coming from someone that isn't a huge fan of nuts! I actually opted for simple vegetables and stuffing this time.

The one thing that is normally off the cards is Yorkshire puddings however there are egg replacers you can buy but I haven't been brave enough to test them yet..... Maybe one day.

(I apologise for the quality - something in the transfer to laptop slightly ruined the photo ...)

Let me know if this sort of post is interesting and or useful so I can keep doing them each month!

x

No comments:

Post a Comment