Instagram

Sunday 14 January 2018

Restaurant Review | Las Iguanas.

As most of you will be aware the month of January is now known as Veganuary which is a movement to encourage people to try veganism for a month!
This has led to many shops and restaurants having deals and special products available throughout January.
One such place is Las Iguanas who have decided to do 2 for 1 on all vegan main courses - pretty great huh? One of my work colleagues messaged me about the deal knowing how happy it would make me and so I suggested we take a visit and make the most of the opportunity.

Before we get into the food I just want to give a mention to the staff who were brilliant from the start. Our waitress in particular was friendly, informative and crazy helpful. My friend that I was with isn't a vegan and they were accommodating enough for her to keep the cheese and sour cream on her mushroom fajita and still have it as part of the deal! Las Iguanas, you so great.

STARTER: I opted for Holy Guacamole and Tortilla Chips & Dips, now before you get your judgey pants on we shared the two!
Out of them I think the guac was my favourite... you can't beat a bit of avocado but I would recommend either and be aware that the piccalilli type dip does have a kick to it! Both were fresh and not too heavy so perfect to start.

MAIN: When it came to choosing a dish I was a spoilt for choice .... well between 5 options, but they all sounded INCREDIBLE (see the choices here just scroll down to the menu). I ended up choosing the Moqueca de Palmitos as it is a dish I doubt I'd ever make myself at home, but I am planning to try the mushroom fajita next time I find myself there.


My curry reminded me of a Thai curry as it was creamy, not to mention delicious plus it wasn't too spicy which is good as I'm not a huge fan of crazy hot food.
The palm hearts were new to me and they were soft and added to the super creaminess of the curry - I'm going to be trying them again as soon as I can.
The other addition that I'll be attempting in future is the toasted coconut to sprinkle on top - adding that bit of crunch gave some much appreciated texture!
It was accompanied by pico de gallo (essentially salsa), spring onion rice and green beans, I draw your attention to the below photo. The only slight gripe I had was the sides were a little cold when they got to me, having said that they were still tasty and I'm a fan of adding onion to basically everything so the rice was a winner with me!
Overall I absolutely fell in love with this dish and left feeling satisfied and full of goodness.

Dessert: After all that food we decided there was just no room left for dessert however it was pretty exciting to see that they actually had two vegan plates! The sorbet is a go to for a lot of restaurants as vegan puds are always tricky.
I was intrigued by the Tembleque which is a set coconut dessert - if you've experienced this do please let me know what you thought and I might order it at another time!

Now of course the main focus of this post is the food however the drinks need an honourable mention - It was a work night so we decided not to go for the 2 for 1 cocktails..... until we realised they had mocktails! The Virgin Piña Colada was something of true beauty and I highly recommend to all that drink and those that don't.


Cheers!!
x

No comments:

Post a Comment